Thursday, August 09, 2007

Rip Off




"I just need a man around to do the odd job," she says. "Like there's this wire hanging loose for instance." I see it needs a little brass bolt - its pretty simple. "I'll look through your boxes of nuts and bolts," I say and some friendly workmen come and give me a hand. But we can't find the right one and the builders have to have their tea break now and of course they have to be paid. I start to calculate how many man-hours this bolt has already cost. I mention it to one of the good natured architects who agreed it is unfair. Before long the whole office is searching for this bolt and their rates are astronomical. This bolt is costing 1000's.
"It's no good ," they say, "we can't find one." All that money and the job's not even done.




No comments: